Top 5 Reasons to Replace Your Traditional Crowns with Cosmetic Veneers during Your Next Visit to the Dentist
Some may see cosmetic dentistry as separate from normal dental work; however, often the two types of dentistry go hand in hand in restoring both the functionality and appearance of one’s teeth.
Cosmetic veneers are probably the best example of such an overlap between cosmetic dentistry and general dentistry. By placing an encasing over your teeth, your cosmetic dentist can shape your teeth structure to align properly. This will help them look cleaner and straighter, along with working against long-term tooth decay and other oral health problems.
Whereas crowns, or caps, are the traditional solution for damaged or decayed teeth, cosmetic veneers are growing in popularity and have some major advantages over traditional crowns.
5 reasons to replace your traditional crowns with cosmetic veneers are as follows:
- When placing a crown on a tooth, your general dentist must drill away much of the tooth in order for the crown to be properly applied. However, cosmetic veneers are attached on only the front surface of the tooth, leaving the healthy part of the tooth intact.
- Similarly, crowns necessitate a high degree of preparation and dental work, whereas cosmetic veneers require less tooth reduction and therefore less discomfort.
- Because cosmetic veneers cover only the front of the tooth, there is less of a chance of future tooth decay in areas that are difficult to reach—both for you while you floss and brush and for your general dentist during regular check-ups.
- Cosmetic veneers give you a bright, straight, and unblemished smile. Crowns are usually more noticeable or simply not as effective in providing the cosmetic results most expect.
- Cosmetic veneers are durable and long-lasting, meaning once you have the procedure done by your cosmetic dentist, you can enjoy your beautiful and healthy smile for years to come.
The Smile Design Center specializes in dental veneers, as well as other cosmetic and general dental procedures. Our sedation dentists are skilled in performing relatively quick and painless dental procedures. For more information on how we can help you and your smile, visit The Smile Design Center or call us at (410) 321-1100.