Bacterial growth in the mouth and tooth loss: Gingivitis can turn into a nasty disease if not recognized early and properly treated by a general dentist. In fact, if gingivitis is not treated soon enough, it can lead to periodontal disease, which carries health problems with it that extend far beyond the mouth.
But let’s stop gingivitis before it gets to that point! Here are five early warning signs of gingivitis:
- Red Gums
- Since gingivitis is a build-up of bacteria in plaque, it causes pressure to the gums, which makes them turn red.
- Swollen Gums
- This follows with the build-up of bacteria as well. Redness and swelling usually accompany each other, so be sure to look for both.
- Sore Gums
- Chronic soreness of the gums caused by little or no external pressure is another early warning sign of gingivitis.
- Bleeding Gums
- If your gums are bleeding excessively with normal brushing and flossing, this is another sign of gingivitis. Be sure to make an appointment with your general dentist if you experience excessive bleeding.
- Pockets in the Gums
- This is actually the beginning stages of advanced gingivitis, or periodontal disease.
i. These pockets in the gums make places where food can build up and allow bacteria to fester. These bacteria release toxins, which will weaken the immune system and connective tissue. All of this culminates in tooth loss and possibly worsening overall health.
Catch gingivitis in its early stages and it is treatable and reversible. If you see warning signs of gingivitis, make an appointment with Smile Design Center, your Baltimore dentist. Ask our staff about other services too, like sedation dentistry and cosmetic dentistry. We want you to look and feel your best, so be sure to schedule a visit every six months!